1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
2 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
1 small zucchini, scrubbed and cubed
1 medium sweet red pepper, roasted, seeded and chopped
10 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
9 tablespoons flour
4 cups milk
4 cups corn stock (recipe follows*), or vegetable stock
2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
Bacon crumbles and fresh chives
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and sauté onion, potato, carrot just until fork-tender.
2. Add garlic and zucchini and sauté 3 minutes more. Remove vegetables from heat.
3. In a heavy soup pot, melt 1 stick of butter over low heat. Add the flour slowly while whisking, until it’s completely combined.
4. Turn up the heat just a bit and add the milk, slowly pouring it in as you whisk. Add cumin.
5. Let this mixture simmer, whisking occasionally, until it begins to thicken.
6. Add your vegetables and stock. Salt and pepper to your taste. Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
7. Add corn. (If using fresh, cook about 5 minutes. Don’t overcook it! If using frozen, drop it in and turn off the pot.)
8. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon, or fresh chives or scallions, or red pepper flakes. Or all of the above.
1 white onion, peeled and quartered
5 corn cobs (kernels removed)
Place onion, corn cobs, and 2 quarts water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and immediately reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove from heat.