Vision: A better food community - local, sustainable, connected.
Location: Zoom call
Meeting ID: 831 5871 5866
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,83158715866#,,,,,,0#,,432441# US (Chicago)
Minutes: Lee Herman
Defining Board-level Discussions - Board
- - Have Patience
- - Be Flexible
- - Set Clear Expectations
- - Remember the Big Picture
- - Say What We Mean, Mean What We Say (But Don't Say It Mean)
- - Understand Majority Rules, But Value Minority Opinions Too
- - Stay Passionate, But Practical
- - [Meeting Organizers] Have An Agenda
- - Be Transparent, Yet Respectful
- - Say If We Are Swamped
- - Monitor Our Follow-Through and Be Accountable
(As part of Board members' Duty of Care, preparing for Board meetings means reading and understanding the pre-reading listed below in advance of each meeting.)
- Fundraising is for Everybody!
-- Fundraising is for Everybody! task (PDF download) Board member prep task explanation
-- Fundraising is for Everybody! responses (PDF download) Board member responses for discussion
- Chicago Market Policy Register (PDF download)
- GM Qualifications Matrix (Excel download)
- Treasurer's Report (PDF download)
- Cost controls
-- Current: Chicago Market cost control proceedures 09.2018.pdf
-- Previous: Chicago Market cost control proceedures FINAL 10.2017.pdf
- Accounts Payable Process:
-- Reimbursement & Payment Procedures
- Team Reports
Zoom notes to Board Members
- - Please turn your video on so you are visible and representing to Owners
- - Please also click the button upper right in your video box to edit your name; edit it to read: Your Name - Board member + your pronouns, so people know who you are in the meeting
OUTCOME: connected, inspired, ready for productive meeting
ACTION/INTENTION: clarify meeting protocols
- -- We've muted all participants upon entry to minimize background noises that will allow everyone to clearly hear the current speaker; We're asking that you please use the chat tool or raise your hand in order to ask a question.
- -- We do have an Owners Forum section planned in the meeting, so post your questions along the way and if we don't get to them in real time, we'll be sure to cover them in that section of the Agenda.
- -- Turning your video on is not required, but in this time of disconnection, we would love to see your faces and we encourage you to use the video tool if you are able.
- -- If you have a comment or suggestion that doesn't need discussion but you want to pass something along to us, the chat tool is great for that as well. Or, you are welcome to email the board at [email protected] with any additional thoughts or questions after this meeting.
OUTCOME: stronger shared understanding of how to talk about Chicago Market and funding, and stronger individual command of the content/language to use
ACTION/INTENTION: group discussion of language in answers
OUTCOME: vote on officers
ACTION/INTENTION: vote on officers
- reference: Nominations (PDF download)
TOPIC: Policy Register
OUTCOME: awareness, understanding and build team to review/update Register
ACTION/INTENTION: introduction to the Policy Register and intro to policy governance
TOPIC: GM qualifications matrix
OUTCOME: Board agreement on the qualifications listed in the matrix
ACTION/INTENTION: discussion of qualifications matrix - please review the matrix (Excel download - same as pre-reading link above) before the meeting and be prepared to discuss if you feel there are any missing qualifications or if the qualifications need modification in any way.
OUTCOME: clarity; Board is informed across teams
ACTION/INTENTION: confirm everyone has read them; questions? follow up?
OUTCOME: Board understanding
ACTION/INTENTION: update on financial status
TOPIC: Cost Control Policy and Accounts Payable Process
OUTCOME: Board awareness of policy and process, Approve Cost Control Process.
ACTION/INTENTION: Board members are aware of the Cost Control Policy and discussion of whether changes are needed. Orientation to the Accounts Payable Process.
The current Cost Control Policy was updated September 8, 2018 but was not formally approved by the Board so a vote is needed to approve it. In practice, we have been more strict about financial approvals than the policy states as we work to minimize spending.
TOPIC: Owner Forum
ACTION/INTENTION: Hear owner thoughts/concerns, answer questions.
Showing 3 reactions.