Martha Feldman, Owner #1515 joined us recently and we're excited to get to know her.
Tell us your full name – as well as who else shares your fridge (i.e., is a part of your household).
Martha Feldman and Patricia Barber.
What motivated you to become an Owner of Chicago Market?
We want to buy fresh, local food in a community environment, with a diverse population of shoppers at different income levels.
What type of work do you do?
I’m a professor of musicology; Barber is a jazz musician and composer.
What else is really important to you…and why?
Music, gardening, swimming, literature, the planet, independent retail, more music, democracy…
Is there something new you’d like to learn or pursue…either now or someday?
More about all of the above, plus opera and homesteading.
Do you have a favorite food or “signature dish”?
I have so, so many. I’m not sure how to choose just one!
What’s your ‘one wish come true” for Chicago Market? It might be a product for our shelves, a program you’d like to see us offer, a location – you name it!
- LOCAL food from farmers in the Midwest (vegetable, poultry, pork, lamb, beef), like Gunthorp Farms, Granor Farm
- Great cheeses, especially cheese that can be cut on site to order
- Really fresh fish (some of it whole) - Beattje Farms, Kenny’s Farmhouse, etc.
- Seven Stars grass-fed organic yogurt
- Lots of grass-fed everything
- Maybe someday there will be an outpost of Chicago Market in Andersonville!
What three words best describe you?
Empathic. Curious. Industrious.