Celebrating Owners and Stretching to Our Next Goal
We raced past 1000 Owners in January, threw a celebratory party and are now at 1032 Owners and growing. It’s a clear sign the Chicago community wants a sustainable, cooperatively owned grocery store and is willing to take a stake in the business to make it happen.
But we can’t rest. We simply need more Owners to make the store a reality. Why exactly? Chicago Market’s financial plans call for more than 2000 Owners by the end of the year. Owners are a crucial part of the funding of our store – our bank will lend to us based on our Owner equity and because they see enough Owners who will be shoppers and thus support the store.
So if you’re an Owner, your Co-op thanks you, but to be successful we need you to recruit your like-minded friends and neighbors. And if you’re not an Owner, there’s never been a better time to join.
* The Engagement Team is working on a food and beer pairing event - stay tuned for that announcement!
* The Board held officer elections recently and the results are: Grant Kessler, president; Lee Herman, vice-president, Edward Collins-Fanner, treasurer, Emily Crespo, secretary.
* Board members Lee and Jen are presenting to other start-up co-ops on our use of digital tools NationBuilder and Basecamp at this week's Up and Coming, Up and Running co-op conference. That's P6 in action! (Read more about P6 and all the 7 Cooperative Principles.)
(But there is so much more going on; click to read more progress updates.)
Chicago Market Owners Support Their Community
Owning a co-op is so much more than groceries; it's caring for others in the community. So we were proud to support Back on My Feet recently - click to learn about their work and why we're for them!
We're busy - join us at these events and be an active part of the Chicago Market community:
Good Food EXPO, March 24 - don't miss this family-friendly event that celebrates local, sustainable, humane and fair food with workshops, panel discussions, a Master Class on vinegars (tickets required), an exhibit show floor and chef demos, including our Owner friend chef Ina Pinkney! Be sure to stop by our table to say hi. More info and free registration.
Chicago Market Board Meeting - Owners are always welcome to listen and see your democracy at work! RSVP here for the March 28 meeting.
April Ownership Info Session - we do these monthly for interested folks to meet us in person, learn and ask questions. Interested in becoming an Owner? Join us at our April 4 Ownership Info Session. Already an Owner? Bring a friend and help us get to our 2000 goal.
* Zero Waste - Chicago Market's Zero Waste team is proud to be working with Zero Waste Chicago on a free evening talk from a well-known speaker about how to live a lower-waste life on April 16. Sign up for their email list to learn more about the event.
Who does all the exciting stuff that propels Chicago Market forward? Volunteers! And you can be one.
We're looking to fill specific roles but also have per task and occasional work to lean in on. If you'd like to learn more, email Lee or check our website.
* Volunteer coordinator - We need someone to interview and place volunteers.
* Social media coordinator - Love social messaging? Help us manage our social accounts.
* Newsletter editor - You're reading this because an interim person made it happen, but if you are a content planner, this could be you.
* Fundraisers - Join our Owner Loan Campaign team; interested or experienced fundraisers welcome.
* Accountants - Channel your inner accountant - the Finance team is looking for accountants or interested folks to help manage the books and finances of the Co-op.
Be the first to comment.